As every producer knows, international promotion can be an essential ingredient of your film’s visibility in foreign markets, and in its potential to shine around the world! For Canadian projects poised to hit those festival silver screens, making the most of these opportunities can bring loads of benefits!
Formerly known as the Participation in International Festivals and Events Support Program, this initiative offers financial support to Canadian producers, distributors, and sales agents with projects officially selected at a recognized international festival. The recently refreshed program features changes such as more flexibility on eligible costs, more recognized festivals added to the list, and the temporary suspension of travel expenses in accordance with the Government of Canada’s Travel Advice and Advisories to avoid non-essential travel.
Here are six quick points to keep in mind for Telefilm Canada’s updated International Promotion Program:
1) You: You’re a Canadian company specializing in the production, distribution, and sales of Canadian films (or coproductions) officially selected at an international festival supported by the program.
2) Your project: Is a Canadian feature length film or coproduction, intended for theatrical release in Canada, and selected at one of the international film festivals supported by the program. Short films (under 30 minutes) must be Canadian projects selected for a premiere at one of the recognized festivals. Your project must be available in French, English, or in an Indigenous language.
3) Your festival: For a complete list of recognized festivals (and details about each one’s relative status and corresponding assistance that could be available to you), consult the Annex to the guidelines of the International marketing and festival participation program. P.S. New festivals added, check out the list!
4) Your invitation: When applying for support to participate at an international festival, submit an official letter from the event for which your project has been selected. Consult the List of required documents of the program for the full scoop.
5) Your application: Simply apply online at least three weeks before your festival begins.
6) Your expenses If your project is accepted, the program covers eligible expenses of marketing campaigns related to press and promotion. Please note the temporary suspension of travel expenses, in accordance with the Government of Canada’s Travel Advice and Advisories to avoid non-essential travel P.S. Check out the newly updated Eligible Costs Matrix!