With films and events galore, including an expanded Canada Pavilion ready to welcome our homegrown talent and international partners, Canada’s renowned animation industry is in fine form for this year’s Annecy International Animation Film Festival and International Animation Film Market (Mifa)!
From features to shorts and VR projects, the abundance of awesome Canadian content in Annecy’s official program showcases the unlimited scope of our storytelling!
Read on to discover why Canada is your next animation partner.
Canadian films to watch at the Annecy International Animation Film Festival
We’ve got 10 projects in competition:
- Alisi Telengut’s Baigal Nuur – Lake Baikal
- Vivien Forsan’s Bedroom People
- Janice Nadeau’s Harvey
- Line Katcho’s Immortelle (VR)
- Richard Reeves’s Intersextion
- Thomas Corriveau’s Marie · Eduardo · Sophie
- Samuel Chou’s Red Iron Road: In the Heat
- Amanda Woolrich’s Shifting (Trasiego)
- Kaho Yoshida’s Tongue
- Joël Vaudreuil’s When Adam Changes (Adam change lentement)
…nine in the official selection:
- Kathleen Mullen’s Button OUT!
- Diane Obomsawin’s I Like Girls (J’aime les filles)
- Paul Utkay’s Insomnia
- Christine Dallaire-Dupont, Nicola Lemay’s Kayak, The Brave Beluga
- Justin Tomchuk’s Safe Mode: Nothin’ to Worry About
- Borislav Kolev’s Theodore Ushev: Unseen Connections
- Vivien Forsans’s To the Closet (Au placard)
- Raymond Lebrun and Dominique Jolin’s Toopy & Binoo, the Movie
- Marie-Ève Drolet’s Wastelands (Les terrains vagues)
…and a Work in Progress presentation of La jeune fille qui pleurait des perles
Attend the session for insights from the grief-themed fairy tale’s directorial pair (whose Madame Tutli-Putli was at Annecy 2007 and nominated for an Oscar for Best Short Film Animated), musical composer Patrick Watson, and producer Marc Bertrand.
Canadian Mifa Highlights: Discover Canada’s awesome animation industry!
Headed to Mifa? So are we! And we’ve got engaging events, activities, and initiatives to showcase Canada’s animation industry and facilitate international networking and partnerships.
Did somebody say terrace? Our refreshed Canada Pavilion is bigger and better than ever, where you can meet some of the talent and delegates behind the projects you love…on our outdoor terrace! Whether you’re a Canadian animator or studio, or an international producer, sales agent, or distributor hoping to partner with Canada, meet us at the Canada Pavilion (C23), at the Impérial Palace. It’s the perfect for meetings, networking, and staying up to date on all Mifa happenings.
Tuesday, June 13 from 7:15pm to 9:00pm at Espace Détente
Seeking new collaborators for your next animation projects? You won’t want to miss our networking soirée, a superb chance to meet and exchange with Canadian talent and studios. Let’s celebrate more than 20 Canadian projects at Annecy!
Mifa Partners Conference: Spotlight on Canada’s Women in Animation
Thursday, June 15 from 9:00am to 10:15am at Impérial Palace, Salle Verdi
Moderated by Tracey Friesen, Managing VP of the Canadian Media Producers Association – BC Producers Branch, this exciting panel puts the spotlight on women in animation.
- Rose-Ann Tisserand, Founder and Co-Executive Producer of the ACE Program (Woman in Animation Vancouver)
- Jennifer Twiner-McCarron, CEO and Chair of Thunderbird Entertainment and CEO of Atomic Cartoons
- Karen Toliver, Vice President, Animation Film at Netflix
Three panelists are also ACE program participants:
- Erica Miles, Animation Director, Pivot (ACE 2)
- Eva Pekarova, Composer, Pivot (ACE 2)
- Sunita Balsara, Writer, Ostinato (ACE 3)